Friday 11 September 2015

Blog 3

From yesterday's lesson, I have learned the meaning of hypothesis. It is an educated prediction that can be tested. It also describes in concrete terms what you expect will happen in a certain circumstance. Moreover, hypothesis is normally written as IF…., THEN… For instance, if the tomato plant receives more sunlight, then the growth of the tomato plant increase.


We also learned the difference between a hypothesis, theory and law in class. The picture below has a very clear explanation.

images.png




I also found this compare and contrast table was very useful for me.


Screenshot (75).png





    





From the video, I have learned that the hypothesis need to be testable as well as has a control variable when carrying out the experiment. One of the incorrect hypotheses that we have made in class was “If a child drinks excessive sugary drinks daily, the ABILITY for a child getting childhood obesity will increase.” The hypothesis is incorrect because the word “ability” is too vague and not able to measure. Besides that, I also get to know that theories come from hypotheses that have been tested for a lot of times.


2. What is the one thing I need help in?


I understood most of the knowledge that I have learned in the class and I have done research to clear my doubt.


3. How am I going to use this new knowledge to teach nature of science in the future?

In future, I will spend more time to teach my students on how to write correct hypothesis. This is because even we as university students are not able to write it correctly. I would also remind my students that the hypothesis that they make have to be testable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment